110 Exam and interview questions on WIN32, MFC and C/C++ under Windows for developers/learners. Click on the link to get the detailed explanations. One you visit any answer you can navigate through next and previous link to jump from one answer to another. You can also select index to come back to this index page. Please provide us the rating and feedbacks of our questions and answers.
program, SDK and API, DLL components, WinMain(),
CallBack, calling conventions,PASCAL, CALLBACK, WINAPI,
DefWindowProc(), LPARAM and WPARAM, MGS, message pump,
window class, Register, WM_PAINT, BeginPaint, EndPaint,
GetDC(), ReleaseDC(), Device Context, GetDC() and
GetWindowDC(), client and non-client area, mouse events,
unicode and international character/multi language
support, string table, MFC application, CWinApp,
CCmdTarget, m_pMainWnd, DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP(),
BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP() and END_MESSAGE_MAP() , resource
DLL, GDI, PEN, BRUSH, SaveDC, RECT, Bitmap, pallet,
font, MetaFile, GetDeviceCaps(), GetSystemMetrics(),
GetFontMetrics(), carat, menu, context menu, "Modal" and
"Modeless" Dialog, CDataExchange, DoDataExchange(),
UpdateData(), property sheet and property page, timer,
clipboard, view control, Image List, common dialogs,
File Open Dialog FindReplace, CStudioFile, drag-n-drop,
serializtion, CArchive, worker thread and UI thread,
AfxBeginThread(), synchonization, Frame, Doc/View,
CRuntime class, RTTI, IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC? CFrameWnd,
- How windows differs from DOS and what is the advantage of GUI based program?
- What is SDK and API functions?
- Why in windows programming, we never access hardware directly instead we use windows API, where as in DOS we directly access hardware?
- What are the basic DLL components of Windows and what are their functionalities?
- What is WinMain() function entry in Windows Applications and what is its prototype?
- What is a Window CallBack procedure and what is its utility?
- What are the calling conventions and how PASCAL, CALLBACK, WINAPI differs with C/C++ function calls?
- What are the basic steps of a typical windows program?
- What is the utility of calling DefWindowProc() function in CALLBACK window procedure?
- What are LPARAM and WPARAM in window proc function and how Win32 subsystem pass parameters to this function?
- What are the members of MGS structure and utility of each members?
- How windows program handles message pump and how to exit from the loop?
- What is window class and what are common available window classes available in windows?
- How to define a custom window class and how to Register it?
- What is WM_PAINT event when it is called ?
- When we use BeginPaint and EndPaint and when to use GetDC() and ReleaseDC()?
- What is Device Context (DC) ?
- Why in windows programming we use API to interact with Device Context of screen and printer instead direct hardware calls to the device where as in DOS we directly interact with screen and printer?
- What is the difference between a GetDC() and GetWindowDC() call?
- What is windows client and non-client area?
- What are different mouse events?
- How we can get the co-ordinate of mouse during mouse events?
- What is unicode and international character/multi language support in windows?
- How can I convert a Unicode string to null terminated byte string and vise versa?
- What is string table and why it is used?
- In a typical MFC application we never write WinMain() function so how is it possible to compile and link a windows program with out WinMain()?
- What are the basic steps of a typical MFC based application?
- What is the base class of any MFC class?
- Explain the MFC class hierarchy starting from CObject?
- What is the utility of CWinApp class?
- Can I create multiple objects of my main application class CWinApp?
- What is the utility of CCmdTarget class in the MFC class hierarchy?
- m_pMainWnd is the member of which class in MFC class hierarchy?
- What is the class hierarchy tree of CWinApp class?
- How MFC uses event handling and what is the utility of DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP(), BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP() and END_MESSAGE_MAP() macro?
- Why MFC uses virtual functions for implementing very limited number of events? Why it does not use virtual functions for all event handling?
- What is UNICODE?
- How can we give all world wide language support to our application?
- Mention two major functions to convert ASCII string to UNICODE string and vise versa?
- What is the job of resource DLL in a project?
- What is PEN object in GDI?
- What are some basic styles of a PEN object?
- What is the utility of NULL PEN?
- What is BRUSH?
- What are different types of Brushes?
- What is the utility of NULL BRUSH?
- What is the difference between Screen DC and Printer DC?
- How SaveDC and RestoreDC works?
- What is RECT?
- What is Bitmap? And how can I draw a Bitmap?
- What is pallet?
- What is font?
- What are the types of fonts are there?
- What is MetaFile? How can I store and Retrieve drawing of a window?
- How can you use GetDeviceCaps(), GetSystemMetrics(), GetFontMetrics() functions to get system settings?
- What is carat? How we use it?
- How we use keyboard shortcuts in dialog and menu items?
- What are the different types of mouse events?
- What is non-client mouse event? And how can I determine on which object mouse has been clicked?
- How can I load menu?
- How can load menu dynamically?
- How can I use one event function for a range of menu id?
- How can I use popup menu or a context menu?
- What is system menu and How can I append extra menu in system menu?
- What is 'Modal' and 'Modeless' Dialog? Give example and state their uses.
- How can I create modeless dialog?
- How can I create a dialog in the middle of Desktop?
- What are the different member of CDataExchange class?
- How data and the text in the dialog screen are exchanged in DoDataExchange() routine?
- What are the result of UpdateData(TRUE) and UpdateData(FALSE) call?
- What are the suitable variable types for the data exchange to and from a Edit, Check Box, Radio Button, List and Combobox? Can a CString be used for the List Box.
- How data are validated in data exchange routine?
- How can I change the text of the message box that comes for the data validation?
- What is property sheet and property page?
- How property sheet and page classes works internally?
- How can I color background of Edit and Static and other controls?
- How can I set a timer?
- How can I read or modify windows clipboard?
- Why Tree and List control are called view control?
- What is a Image List?
- What are the types of views supported in ListView?
- What are the different types of common dialogs?
- How can I customize a File Open Dialog?
- Is FindReplace dialog is modal or modeless? Why?
- What are different types of open mode in CFile?
- What is the advantage of using CStudioFile class over CFile?
- How can I open a file on drag-n-drop operation?
- How can I write a class that supports serializtion?
- What is the utility of serialization?
- Does serialization is only used for storing or retrieving information to and from disk filesystem?
- What is CArchive class in serialization routine? Why a CFile is not used here?
- What is worker thread and UI thread?
- How can I create a worker thread using AfxBeginThread() function?
- How can I create an UI thread using MFC?
- What are the different synchonization classes provided by MFC?
- How can I modify attribute of Frame window before creation?
- What is the Doc/View architecture in MFC? Explain.
- What is CRuntime class? Where it is used?
- What is a MFC class that supports dynamic creation?
- How a MFC class can support RTTI?
- What is the utility of IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC?
- Why in Doc/view classes are created dynamically?
- How can I construct a Single Document Templete class?
- Describe workflow of a typical MFC Application that supports Doc/View?
- How messages are routed in an Doc/View application?
- What is the utility of OnDraw() function in CView class in Doc/View?
- How command line arguments are processed in Doc/View?
- What is the difference between SDI and MDI Application?
- How can I split a CFrameWnd?
- What are the sequence of a OnFilePrint() event?
Similar topics related to this section
Microsoft Win32 interview questions | TechInterviews
Win32API Interview Questions and Answers :: ALL Interview .com
MFC Interview Questions and Answers :: ALL Interview .com
VC++ Interview Questions and Answers - VC++ Interview FAQs & VC++
MFC - MFC Interview Questions