What is BIOS configuration screen or BIOS screen?
BIOS configuration screen is an user interface application which displays different system parameters and also gives menu options to the users for altering the settings.
What are the basic system attributes that BIOS screen displays?
- Detail of CPU (Name and Core details, Cache details)
- Details of RAM slots and total memory installed.
- BIOS version details (version, date time)
- Current System Date and Time
- Details of system slots and installed add-on card
- Boot device list and their order
- Security and Password
What are the basic system settings that can be altered in BIOS screen?
- Date and Time
- CPU performance and power settings
- Primary Video device
- Settings of Motherboard devices(USB, SATA, SAS, NVME, SSDs)
- Settings for Power management and CPU performance
- Altering boot order list and priorities
- BIOS password and security settings
What is a RTC/Real-Time Clock?
RTC/Real-Time Clock is a small IC which maintains the date and time of the system. It also contains a small amount of non-volatile memory which is used for storing settings.
What is BIOS CMOS settings?
Real-Time Clock circuit holds a small non-volatile memory to store the system setting values. This is called CMOS settings.
What is BIOS factory defaults?
BIOS manufacturer provides a set of all default values for all the system settings known as factory default. BIOS screen provides some menu option and a shortcut key to load all default setting values.
What is BIOS CMOS defaults?
When a CMOS clear is done through jumper or CMOS battery is removed/replaced, BIOS loads the factory default values. This is known as CMOS defaults. Generally CMOS defaults are same as factory defaults. CMOS defaults are useful when system goes to unstable or inacceable conditions like Display not comming or CPU shuts on overclocking etc.
What is a CMOS battery ?
CMOS battery is a 3V coin size battery located on motherboard near the BIOS flash chip which gives power to Real-Time Clock on the motherboard.
What is CMOS clear jumper?
This is a pair of pins on the motherboard where a jumper can be placed to short these two pins to perform a CMOS clear event.
What is an alternate way to do CMOS clear?
- Power off the system.
- Remove the main power cable.
- Remove the CMOS battery from the holder.
- Short circuit the two pins in the battery holder for few seconds.
- Put the battery back in the holder.
- Add the main power.
- System will power on by itself and load CMOS defaults.
Similar topics related to this section
BIOS, Booting, PC Firmare, Topics Index, Primary Base Memory, High, Extended Memory and IO Ports, Memory Mapped IO Layout, IO Port Ranges, Interrupt Lines, x86 Registers, Real Mode Memory Segmentation, Power On Self Test, H/W Inits, Software Interrupts, Keyboard Module and int16, VGA Display int10, Disk Subsystem int13, BIOS Config Screen, BIOS Development Code Flashing Debugging, Plug-n-Play, PCI card PnP Mechanism, PCI Config Address Space, PCI MMIO IO IRQ perations, BIOS Boot OPROMs Drivers, Disk Cylinder Head Sectors, MBR Disk Partitions, MBR and File Allocation Table Partitions, Boot Loader, Grand Universal Bootloader Linux Booting, NT Loader Windows Booting, Embedded System Booting, Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Stack, UEFI Development And Advantages, References and Links,