Basic steps in Win32 Application
A standard windows program contains the following minimal steps:
- Define a Custom Window Class- Define your own window class,
- Register the Window Class - Register your class so that you can use the name with CreateWindow() call,
- Create the registered window - Create the main overlapped window,
- Show and Update Window - Show and update the window as per user's show value,
- Define a WndProc() callback for this the window - This call back should handle all necessary messages and must pass those messages to DefWindowProc() which it is not handling. This message handler should also have a exit path like when user exits the window by clicking cross button or Alt+F4 from the keyboard,
- Wait for the user messages and dispatch - An infinite loop fetches messages from message queue and dispatch it to window procedure.
About our authors: Team EQA
MFC hides WinMain in its framework and includes source file on WinMain(). This explains how framework calls global CWinApp::Initinstance() from entry WinMain.
This is constructed during global C++ objects are constructed and is already available when Windows calls the WinMain function, which is supplied by the ...
Define a custom Window class structure, Register the class name, CreateWindow, Show windows and write message get and dispatch loop statements. Define the Window CallBack procedure and write the handlers.
DispatchMessage() is a API which indirectly triggers the Window CallBack procedure. Message structure members from this function are passed to the CallBack procedure. CallBack procedure should implement event handlers depending on the need of the application.
LPARAM and WPARAM are the two parameters in Window CallBack procedure. They signifies parameters of various events. They are used in handing individual events.
We need to write WinMain and need to follow all these in a Win32 application. However we need not to write much if we are writing an application with MFC ...
Questions index C Questions C++ Questions Win32 MFC COM/DCOM DLL Questions
Compilers & Editors
Download Visual Studio Download XCode Download Visual Studio Code Android studio install sdk Eclipse installer Best C compilers IDEs
Development system setup
Windows media creation tool MSDN subscription Ubuntu virtualbox
New updated posts
Why learn C? Calculate weighted average