Followings are the syllabus and reference books for Computer Network
Note I: There will be one objective type question comprising 10 numbers spread over the entire syllabus and
each carrying one mark.
Note II: Two questions are to be set from each module out of which five questions are to be answered taking at least
one from each module. All questions carry equal marks.
Overview of data communication and Networking:
Introduction; Data communications: components, data representation(ASCII,ISO etc.),direction of data flow(simplex,
half duplex, full duplex); Networks: distributed processing, network criteria, physical structure (type of connection,
topology), categories of network (LAN, MAN,WAN);Internet: brief history, internet today; Protocols and standards;
Reference models: OSI reference model, TCP/IP reference model, their comparative study.
Overview of data(analog &digital), signal(analog &digital), transmission (analog &digital)& transmission media (
guided &non-guided); TDM, FDM, WDM; Circuit switching: time division &space division switch, TDM bus;
Data link layer:
Types of errors, framing(character and bit stuffing), error detection &correction methods; Flow control; Protocols:
Stop &wait ARQ, Go-Back- N ARQ, Selective repeat ARQ, HDLC;
Medium access sub layer:
Point to point protocol, LCP, NCP, FDDI, token bus, token ring; Reservation, polling, concentration; Multiple access
protocols: Pure ALOHA, Slotted ALOHA, CSMA, CSMA/CD, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA; Traditional Ethernet, fast
Internetworking &devices: Repeaters, Hubs, Bridges, Switches, Router, Gateway; Addressing : Internet address,
classful address, subnetting; Routing : techniques, static vs. dynamic routing , routing table for classful address;
Routing algorithms: shortest path algorithm, flooding, distance vector routing, link state routing; Protocols: ARP,
RARP, IP, ICMP, IPV6; Unicast and multicast routing protocols.
Process to process delivery; UDP; TCP; Congestion control algorithm: Leaky bucket algorithm, Token bucket
algorithm, choke packets; Quality of service: techniques to improve Qos.
DNS; SMTP, SNMP, FTP, HTTP &WWW; Security: Cryptography, user authentication, security protocols in internet,
ISDN services &ATM ; DSL technology, Cable modem, Sonet.
Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11; Introduction to blue-tooth, VLAN’s, Cellular telephony &Satellite network.
Books and Links:
Books and Links:
1. B. A. Forouzan – “Data Communications and Networking (3rd Ed.) “ – TMH
2. A. S. Tanenbaum – “Computer Networks (4th Ed.)” – Pearson Education/PHI
3. W. Stallings – “Data and Computer Communications (5th Ed.)” – PHI/ Pearson Education
4. Zheng &Akhtar, Network for Computer Scientists &Engineers, OUP
5. Black, Data &Computer Communication, PHI
6. Miller, data Communication &Network, Vikas
7. Miller, Digital &Data Communication, Jaico
8. Shay, Understanding Data Communication &Network, Vikas
1. Kurose and Rose – “ Computer Networking -A top down approach featuring the internet” –
2. Leon, Garica, Widjaja – “Communication Networks” – TMH
3. Walrand – “Communication Networks” – TMH.
4. Comer – “Internetworking with TCP/IP, vol. 1, 2, 3(4th Ed.)” – Pearson Education/PHI